Floor Lamp,designed by Philip Johnson and Richard Kelly
Philip Johnson’s Glass House of 1945, in New Canaan, Connecticut, sits like a glass box on a large landscaped site. The interior was a challenge to light because of the all reflections within the glass-walled structure, especially at night. Johnson collaborated with lighting designer Richard Kelly to create the lighting system for the Glass House, including this lamp of 1953. The enameled aluminum shade creates indirect lighting for the room.
Furniture: © Estate of Lüdwig Mies Van der Rohe / SOCAN (2019).